TEXAS EVENTS, RODEOS, FESTIVALS
Some of the fun events & festival and things to do in Texas this year - from rodeos to music to art shows and more. If you have an event you would like listed, let me know. We do not list monthly "markets" and reserve the right to decide what is appropriate here. We also greatly appreciate it if you list our site on yours. It makes me like you more.
Trip Diaries: Galveston (the first article I've managed to finish). Fort Davis article coming soon. We LOVE Fort Davis, the McDonald Observatory, the drier air out there, etc.
Request a listing
January (PLEASE NOTE. Not all events have been updated, but the URLs should still be valid)
- Taylor County Livestock Show & Sale, Abilene, January 21-24, 2016 - Youth compete for best in show.
- Fort Worth Stock Show Rodeo, January 16-February 7, 2016 - Fun rodeo festival.
- Texas Citrus Fiesta - Parade of Oranges, Mission, January 31, 2015 - Parade in celebration of the citrus industry of the Rio Grande Valley.
- Jefferson Quilt Show, Jefferson, January 23-25, 2016 - A show of fabulous "quilts on the bayou".
- Washington's Birthday Celebration, Laredo, Feb 13-22, 2016 - Carnival celebrating George Washington, a longstanding tradition.
- San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo, San Angelo, February 13-March 1, 2016 - One of the top rodeos in the nation based on total purse, the San Angelo Rodeo brings top cowboys and cowgirls from the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association every year.
- Charro Days, Brownsville, February 26-March 8, 2016 - The biggest celebration in the Rio Grande Valley.
- Mardi Gras Southeast Texas, Port Arthur, February 12-February 15, 2016 - Robert Earl Keen, Motorcycle show & run and tons of fun.
- Mardi Gras! Galveston, Galveston, February 16-Mar 1, 2016- An extravagant Mardi Gras celebration, Texas-style.
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, Houston, March 1-20, 2016 - I grew up going to this every year. The Cutting Horse competition was my favorite event, but the Cutting Horse Association has their own events now. And if you're going to the rodeo, please see a C&W performer, not some pop star.
- South by Southwest, Austin, Mar 11-20, 2016 - A unique festival of music, film, and technology.
- Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show, Mercedes, March 11-20, 2016 - A fun livestock show promoting agriculture to youth, rodeo, calf scramble and all that good stuff.
- Best Little Cowboy Gathering in Texas, La Grange, March 10-13, 2016 - Texas Western Swing Festival celebrates western & cowboy heritage, BBQ, dancing & Texas hospitality.
- Texas Ranger Day, Burton, March 12, 2016- Celebrate history with Railroad, Texas Rangers and street dance!
- Star of Texas Fair and Rodeo, Austin, March 12-26, 2016 - A fun rodeo for the whole family, Super Shootout, Mutton Bustin' and great entertainers.
- Walker County Fair, Huntsville, March 30-April 8, 2017 - A fun fest for the whole family and a PRCA Rodeo, to boot!
- Scarborough Faire®, the Renaissance Festival, Waxahachie, April 8-May 29, 2017 (weekends) - Exciting Renaissance festival.
- Galveston FeatherFest, Galveston, April 6-9, 2017 - The largest birding festival on the upper coast.
- Poteet Strawberry Festival, April 7-9, 2017 - Exciting events, contests, and carnival fun. Oh, and strawberries!!
- Chalk This Way, Lewisville, April 8, 2017 - Professional chalk artists, amateur chalk art contest, art vendors, food, music.
- April in Edom, Edom, April 8 & 9, 2017 - Old fashioned street fair for adults, kids and pets.
- Texas Rockin' Seafood Festival, April 21-23, 2017 - LaMarque - Come celebrate the rich bounty of the Texas Gulf, the fun and energy of Gulf Coast culture, and the explosion of epicurean diversity of the Gulf Coast
- Denton Arts & Jazz Festival, Denton, April 28-April 30, 2017 - A celebration of the arts in a creative community.
- Maifest, Brenham, May 5-6, 2017 - One of the oldest German heritage fests of the south with great music and arts.
- League City Music Festival, League City, May 5-6, 2017 - Tracy Byrd, Jake Worthington, Eric Paslay, Jason Boland & The Stragglers, Mike & The Moonpies, Fred Rusk & the Zydeco Hi-Steppers.
- Texas Scottish Festival & Highland Games, Arlington, May 5-7, 2017 - Dancing, athletics, and more to celebrate Scottish heritage.
- First Saturday Arts Market, Houston, May 6, 2017 (open year round on the first Saturday of each month) - Monthly outdoor fine arts event featuring the works of dozens of visual artists.
- Western Heritage Classic, Abilene, May 11-14, 2017 - Authentic ranch activities and showcase.
- Comicpalooza, Houston, May 12-14, 2017 - Largest annual, multi-genre, comic book, science fiction, anime, gaming, and pop culture convention to the George R. Brown Convention Center.
- Katy Cajun Invasion, Katy Mills, May 16-18, 2017 - A celebration of the great music, food, and fun of the Bayou culture; bands combining Texas Country with Louisiana Zydeco and Brass Bands; crafts, armadillo races.
- PianoTexas International Academy & Festival, Fort Worth, May 17-June 17, 2017 - A recital series, the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra and concerts by talented young pianists.
- Red Cat Jazz Festival, Galveston Island, May 25-28, 2017 - Non-stop live jazz holiday weekend festival located at Moody Gardens.
- Kerrville Folk Festival, Kerrville, May 25-Jun 11, 2017 - Music and food for "Kerrverts" of all ages.
- National Polka Festival, Ennis, May 26-28, 2017 - Czech heritage festivities; parade, Enjoy a weekend of polka dancing, Czech foods, and live polka bands.
- Lucky Duck River Race, San Antonio, check back for 2017 dates - 20,000 rubber ducks will race down the San Antonio River!
- Big Pines Blues Fest, Longview, June 2-3, 2017 - Festival sanctioned by the Estate of T-Bone Walker and hosted by his daughter, Bernita Walker.
- Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival, Houston, June 2-July 1, 2017 - Over 50 public events open to the general public featuring a concerts presented by Festival Orchestra, faculty, and institutes for high school jazz musicians, high school pianists, young professional opera singers, and flutists.
- Kolache-Klobase Festival, East Bernard, June 10, 2017 - Plenty of live music, dancing & lively entertainment with bands and entertainers from 10:30 am-8 pm.
- Texas City Kite Festival, Texas City Dike/Levee, June 10, 2017 - Competitions in kite flying, a kiteboarding hydrofoil race, powered paragliding exhibition, and the world’s first-ever tanker surfing competition.
- Pecos Rodeo, Pecos, June, 21-24, 2017 - The world's first rodeo - since 1883.
- Austin Bat Fest, check back for 2017 dates - Austin - In mid to late August, thousands of people come to Austin's Town Lake and downtown Austin to see millions of Mexican Free Tail Bats, shop for locally made crafts and listen to over 30 live bands on two stages.
- East Texas Sacred Harp Singing Convention, Henderson, August 12-13, 2017 - 150th Annual East Texas Convention. Singers from many U.S. states annually descend on Henderson, Texas for this special event.
- Hotter 'n Hell Hundred Bike Ride, Wichita Falls, Aug 24-27, 2017 - A bike ride in hot Texas temperatures!
- The Fall Festival & Corn Maze, Bastrop, check back for 2017 dates - Set amongst 100-year-old cottonwood trees, rolling grassy hills and the picturesque Colorado River.
- GrapeFest, Grapevine, September 14-17, 2017 - Largest wine festival in the Southwest.
- Washington County Fair, Brenham, September 15-23, 2017 - The first county fair in Texas! While in Brenham visit some of the wineries on the Texas Wine Trail.
- Dewberry Farms Maze, west of Katy, starting September 30-mid-November, 2017 - 8 acre corn maze to explore plus acres of pumpkins.
- Texas Renaissance Festival, Todd Mission, September 30-November 26, 2017 - Each weekend of the festival takes on a different theme, influencing the performances, costumes, food, drink, art, shops, contests, and games throughout the festival grounds.
- Dark Night Skies Star Party, Leakey, check back for 2017 dates - Sky viewing of constellations, planets & the Milky Way.
- South Texas Maize Hondo, check back for 2017 dates - 7 acre maize maze (get it?) Fun event for the family.
- Leakey Oktoberfest, Leakey, check back for 2017 dates - Beer and fun.
- "Come and Take It" Days, Gonzales, October 6-8, 2017 - Music, T-Bone cookoff, battle reenactment.
- All American Pro Rodeo Finals, Waco, Oct 7-14, 2017 - Rodeo events include: Saddle bronc riding, steer wrestling, team roping, bareback riding, barrel racing, tie-down roping and bull riding, not to mention everyone's favorite calf scramble and mutton bustin'.
- Texas Mesquite Art Festival, Fredericksburg, October 13-15, 2017 - Collections of sculpted wood from the world’s finest mesquite craftsmen.
- Texas Mushroom Festival, Madisonville, Oct 14, 2017 - Mushroom Capital of Texas celebration.
- Bluebonnet Horse Expo, Austin, October 21, 2017 - Day full of horses, clinics, shopping, and adoptions!
- Harvest Moon Festival, Granbury October 21-22, 2017 - Showcasing the unique and diverse works from 60+ artists, makers and craftspeople! Live music, food, and an interactive, “make-it, take-it” arts area for all ages!
- Flatonia Czhilispiel, Flatonia, October 27-29, 2017 - 45th annual event with a concert series, cook-off, biergarten, carnival, parade, arts and crafts market, 5K and various other activities.
- Sassafras Festival, San Augustine, October 28, 2017 - Music, classic cars, BBQ cook-off and more fun.
- Christmas on the Square, Leakey, check back for 2017 dates - Featuring artists, crafters and food vendors.
- George West Storyfest, George West, November 3-5, 2017 - Quality, family-oriented event; dedicated to preserving our rich heritage of storytelling.
- Wurstfest, New Braunfels, November 3-12, 2017 - Annual celebration rich in German culture and full of Texas fun! You’ll enjoy good food, music, dancing, exciting carnival rides and games, German, Texan and domestic beer, special events and the finest in Alpine and Bavarian Style Entertainment.
- Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival, Harlingen, November 8, 2017 - Offering great birds, excellent guiding, educational seminars, rousing socials and fun.
- Heritage Syrup Festival, Henderson, November 11, 2017 - Only folk life festival in East Texas.
- Festival of Lights, Lake Jackson, November 16-18, 2017 - Kick-off the holiday season with this event that has games, a parade, and lots more!
- Austin Trail of Lights, Austin, check back for 2017 dates - More than 40 displays, 2 million lights and holiday activities that create countless memories. It's an Austin tradition.
- Dickens on the Strand, Galveston, December 1-3, 2017 - Street festival, based on 19th-century Victorian London, features parades, non-stop entertainment on six stages, strolling carolers, roving musicians, bagpipers, jugglers and a host of other entertainers.
- Annual Gruene Pony Express Ride - Gruene, December 2, 2017 - A Pony Express rider from the Heritage Trail Ride Association of New Braunfels will arrive and relay riders carry a “Christmas Greetings” message from the Governor of Texas. A temporary Post Office will be set up to cancel stamps for mailing. Bring your Christmas cards to have the stamps cancelled with the 2017 commemorative stamp representing Gruene.
- Tomball German Christmas Market, Tomball, December 8-10, 2017 - Come and enjoy the family-friendly ambience - Gemütlichkeit - of this unique music/street festival with three stages of live music and an open air market along with antique shops in the old town area.
Thanks to Bob Fuldauer of Turn To Productions for his help in providing events to list here.
Where To Stay In Texas
Love these Western rope baskets!
Wedding day gifts for the bride, groom or parents to give
Todd Sanders' neon homage to pin-up girls
Adorable and customizable. (Is that a word?)
Elegant Texas Sofa Table by Texas Mesquite
Our growing wine industry deserves its own wine glass