TEXAS EVENTS, RODEOS, FESTIVALS
Some of the fun events & festival and things to do in Texas this year - from rodeos to music to art shows and more. If you have an event you would like listed, let me know. We do not list monthly "markets" and reserve the right to decide what is appropriate here. We also greatly appreciate it if you list our site on yours. It makes me like you more.
Trip Diaries: Galveston (the first article I've managed to finish). Fort Davis article coming soon. We LOVE Fort Davis, the McDonald Observatory, the drier air out there, etc.
Request a listing
January (PLEASE NOTE THE YEAR SHOWN. Not all upcoming events have been updated, though the URLs should still be valid)
- Taylor County Livestock Show & Sale, Abilene, Jan 21-24, 2016 - Youth compete for best in show
- Fort Worth Stock Show Rodeo, Jan 16-Feb 7, 2016 - Fun rodeo festival (My brother-in-law works it every year since he retired)
- Texas Citrus Fiesta - Parade of Oranges, Mission, Jan 31, 2015 - Parade in celebration of the citrus industry of the Rio Grande Valley
- Jefferson Quilt Show, Jefferson, Jan 23-25, 2016 - A show of fabulous "quilts on the bayou"
- Washington's Birthday Celebration, Laredo, Feb 13-22, 2016 - Carnival celebrating George Washington, a longstanding tradition
- San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo, San Angelo, Feb 13-Mar 1, 2016 - One of the top rodeos in the nation based on total purse and celebrating 82 years of existence, the San Angelo Rodeo brings top cowboys and cowgirls from the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association every year
- Charro Days, Brownsville, Feb 26- March 8, 2016 - The biggest celebration in the Rio Grande Valley
- Southeast Texas Mardi Gras, Port Arthur, Feb 12-Feb 15, 2016. Robert Earl Keen, Motorcycle show & run and tons of fun.
- Galveston Mardi Gras, Galveston, Feb 16- Mar 1, 2016- An extravagant Mardi Gras celebration, Texas-style
- San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo, San Angelo, Feb 13- Feb 26, 2016 - See description above about this historic rodeo that starts on
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, Houston, Mar 1-20, 2016 I grew up going to this every year. The Cutting Horse competition was my favorite event, but the Cutting Horse Association has their own events now. And if you're going to the rodeo, please see a C&W performer, not some pop star
- South by Southwest, Austin, Mar 11-20, 2016 - A unique festival of music, film, and technology
- Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show, Mercedes, Mar 11-20, 2016 - A fun livestock show promoting agriculture to youth, rodeo, calf scramble and all that good stuff.
- Best Little Cowboy Gathering in TX, La Grange, Mar 10-13, 2016 - Texas Western Swing Festival celebrates western & cowboy heritage, BBQ, dancing & Texas hospitality
- Texas Ranger Day , Burton, March 12, 2016- Celebrate history with Railroad, Texas Rangers
and street dance!
- Star of Texas Fair and Rodeo, Austin, Mar 12-26, 2016 - A fun rodeo for the whole family, Super Shootout, Mutton Bustin' and great entertainers.
- Walker County Fair, Huntsville, TX Apr 1-9, 2016 - A fun fest for the whole family and a PRCA Rodeo, to boot!
- Poteet Strawberry Festival, Apr 8-10, 2016 - Exciting events, contests, and carnival fun. Oh, and strawberries!!
- The Pearland Crawfish Festival, Pearland, Apr 15-17, 2016 - The Pearland Crawfish Festival takes the friendly, relaxed fun and community feel of a small town fair and serves it up big with hot, fresh crawfish at a great price and the best of Cajun dishes and classic festival fare. Entertainment includes the Zydeco, Texas Country, Blues, and Classic Rock bands; Splash Dogs, armadillo races, iguana races, crawfish-eating contests; arts and craft vendors, a world-class carnival, children's area, and more
- Scarborough Faire®, the Renaissance Festival, Waxahachie, Weekends Apr 9-May 30, 2016 - Exciting Renaissance festival
- Galveston FeatherFest, Apr 14-17, 2016 - The largest birding festival on the upper coast
- Brazoria County Crawfish Festival, Angleton April 15-17, 2016 Friendly relaxed fun and community feel of a small town fair and serves it up Big!
- April in Edom, Apr 16-17, 2016- old fashioned street fair for adults, kids and pets
- Texas Rockin' Seafood Festival, April 21-23, 2017, LaMarque - Come celebrate the rich bounty of the Texas Gulf, the fun and energy of Gulf Coast culture, and the explosion of epicurean diversity of the Gulf Coast
- Denton Arts & Jazz Festival, Denton, Apr 29- May 1, 2016 - A celebration of the arts in a creative community
- Red Cat Jazz Festival, Galveston Island, May 5-8, 2016. Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Jazz saxophonist and Houston native Ronnie Laws.
- Scarborough Faire®, the Renaissance Festival, Waxahachie, Weekends Apr 5-May 26 - Exciting Renaissance festival
- Maifest, Brenham, May 6-7, 2016 - One of the oldest German heritage fests of the south with great music and arts
- Texas Scottish Festival & Highland Games, Arlington, May 13-15, 2016 - Dancing, athletics, and more to celebrate Scottish heritage
- League City Music Festival, League City, May 6-7 - Bleu Edmondson, Jake Worthington, Bellamy Brothers, Hudson Moore, Kevin Black, Clint Black!
- Western Heritage Classic, Abilene, May 12-15, 2016 - Authentic ranch activities and showcase
- Katy Cajun Invasion, Katy Mills, May 16-18, 2016, A celebration of the great music, food, and fun of the Bayou culture; bands combining Texas Country with Louisiana Zydeco and Brass Bands; crafts, armadillo races.
- Chalk This Way, Lewisville, May 9, 2016; Professional chalk artists, amateur chalk art contest, art vendors, food, music
- Cowboy Capital Rodeo, Bandera, May ?? 2016 - It doesn't look like there is a PRCA Rodeo in Bandera any more.
- 48th Annual National Polka Festival, Ennis, May 26-29, 2016; Czech heritage festivities; parade, Enjoy a weekend of polka dancing, Czech foods, and 14 sensational LIVE polka bands including Grammy Award winning Brave Combo.
- Kerrville Folk Festival, Kerrville, May 26-Jun 12, 2016 - Music and food for "Kerrverts" of all ages
- Space City Comic Con, Houston, May 27-29, 2016- The Gulf Coast's fan-culture convention and family entertainment, pop-culture expo for all ages. For fans of comics, sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, literature and art. Alex Kingston (River Song) and more!
- T-Bone Walker Blues Festival, Longview, June 3-4, 2016 Festival sanctioned by the Estate of T-Bone Walker and hosted by his daughter, Bernita Walker.
- Kerrville Folk Festival, June 1-12, 2016 Kerrville - Ten evening concerts, eight Sundown concerts, three New Folk concerts, six Children's concerts, Blues Project, special concerts at Threadgill Theater, campfire singing, food, camping plus song writing, and a Music in Schools Program for teachers
- Lucky Duck River Race, San Antonio, June 4, 2016 20,000 Rubber Ducks will race down the San Antonio River! Only $5 to adopt a duck! Proceeds benefit the "Hire Haven" Job Training program at Haven for Hope, a transformational homeless campus in downtown San Antonio.
- PianoTexas International Academy & Festival, Fort Worth, June 2 -26, 2016 A recital series, the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra and concerts by talented young pianists. There are three programs: Young Artists, Teachers, and Amateurs. In 2016 we will feature the music of Johannes Brahms and Robert Schumann.
- Kolache-Klobase Festival, June 11, East Bernard - Plenty of live music, dancing & lively entertainment with bands and entertainers from 10:30 am to 5:30 pm.
- Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival, The Woodlands, June 7-30, 2016 Over 50 public events open to the general public featuring a concerts presented by Festival Orchestra, faculty, and institutes for high school jazz musicians, high school pianists, young professional opera singers, and flutists.
- 128th West of the Pecos Rodeo, Pecos, June, 22-25, 2016 - The world's first rodeo - since 1883
- Texas City Kite Festival, At the Texas City Dike/Levee, June 25, 2016 - Competitions in kite flying, a kiteboarding hydrofoil race, powered paragliding exhibition, and the world’s first-ever tanker surfing competition
- Great Texas Mosquito Festival, Clute, July 28-30, 2016 - Three day fun filled family event
- Old Mobeetie Texas Music Festival, July 29-31, Old Mobeetie The Old Mobeetie Music Festival is a family-oriented three-day music jamboree with stage shows as well as "shade-tree pickin" around the camp sites. Camping in the rough is available along with over 100 electrical hookups. The Old Mobeetie Jail Museum is open to visitors during the festival. Performers include local bands as well as musicians from the surrounding states.
- Beatles vs Stones, Houston, August 5, 2016 - The Greatest Concert That Never Was, the top tribute bands and all your favorite songs.
- East Texas Sacred Harp Singing Convention, Henderson, Aug 13-14 Singing begins at 9:30 on Saturday morning and singers sing until about 3 p.m. for each of two days, with appropriate breaks. Lunch is provided by the Convention. Singers from many U.S. states annually descend on Henderson, Texas for this special event.
- Austin Bat Fest, August 20, Austin - In mid to late August, thousands of people come to Austin's Town Lake and downtown Austin to see millions of Mexican Free Tail Bats, shop for locally made crafts and listen to over 30 live bands on two stages.
- Hotter 'n Hell Hundred Bike Ride, Wichita Falls, Aug 27, 2016 - A bike ride in hot Texas temperatures!
- Houston Con, Houston, Sept 9-11, 2016 - Sci-fi, comics, and games convention brings stars of movies, television, special effects, writers, and artist's to the George R Brown Convention Center
- GrapeFest, Grapevine, Sept. 15-18, 2016 - Largest wine festival in the Southwest.
- Great Pumpkin Maze, Bastrop -Sept 24 to Nov 13, 2016 Corn maze - family fun.
- Dewberry Farms Maize, west of Katy, Sept 24 -- 2016, Corn maze and more
- Washington County Fair, Brenham, Sept 9-17, 2016 - The first county fair in Texas! While in Brenham visit some of the wineries on the Texas Wine Trails.
- Josh Turner Concert, Houston, Sept 29, 2016 -One of country music’s most recognizable hit makers
- Three Dog Night With Special Guest The Guess Who Houston, Friday, Sep. 30, 8:30 PM at Arena Theatre. Legendary music icons.
- Dark Skies Star Party, Leakey, Oct 1, 2016. Remember the Milky Way? Never seen the Milky Way. You're in for a treat!
- "Come and Take It" Days, Gonzales, Sept 30 -Oct 2, 2016, Music, T-Bone Cook Off, Battle Reenactment
- The Great Pumpkin Maze, Hondo -Sept 17 - Nov ?, 2016, 7 acre maize maze (get it?) Fun Event for the family.
- First Saturday Arts Market, Houston, Oct 1 (and first Saturday of every month). Thus, the name.
- Texas Mesquite Art Festival, Fredericksburg, Oct 7-9, 2016 Collections of sculpted wood from the world’s absolute finest mesquite craftsmen
- All American Pro Rodeo Finals, Waco, Oct 8-16, 2016 Rodeo events include: Saddle Bronc Riding, Steer Wrestling, Team Roping, Bareback Riding, Barrel Racing, Tie-Down Roping and Bull Riding, not to mention everyone's favorite Calf Scramble and Mutton Bustin'.
- Leakey Oktoberfest, Leakey, Oct 15, 2016, Beer and fun
- Texas Mushroom Festival, Madisonville, Oct 22, 2016 - Mushroom Capital of Texas celebration
- Bluebonnet Horse Expo, Austin, Oct 22, 2016 Day full of horses: clinics, shopping, and adoptions!
- Sassafras Festival, San Augustine, Oct 29, 2016, Music, classic cars, BBQ cook-off and more fun.
- Harvest Moon Festival, Granbury Oct 15-16, 2016 Great crafts and foods on the square
- Flatonia Czhilispiel, Flatonia, Oct 28-30, 2016 Cook-off, concert series, biergarten, carnival, parade, arts and crafts market, 5K and various activities
- Bud Light Halloween Fest, San Antonio, Oct 28, 2016 7-9:30 pm. The best FREE party on the River Walk featuring a wicked costume contest ($500- 1st place), enchanting music & an eerie river parade!
- Texas Renaissance Festival (through Nov 19), See September listing above
- 17th Annual George West Storyfest, George West, Nov 4-6, 2016 Storytelling, Classic Car show, Living History, Great Western Trail & Chisholm Trail.
- Wurstfest, New Braunfels, Nov 4-13 2016 Beer, beer, sausages, beer, funnel cakes, beer, and music. And beer
- Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival, Harlingen, Nov 4, 2015 (field trips and seminars and fun for birders)
- Heritage Syrup Festival, Henderson, Nov 14, 2015
- Festival of Lights, Lake Jackson, Nov 21, 2015
- Christmas on the Square, Leakey, Nov 28, 2015
- 14TH Annual Gruene Pony Express Ride - Gruene, Dec 5, 2015, Relay friders carry a Christmas Greetings message from the Governor of Texas
- Dickens on the Strand, Galveston, Dec 4-6, 2015 Street festival, based on 19th-century Victorian London, features parades, non-stop entertainment on six stages,
- Tomball German Christmas Market, Tomball, 2nd Weekend in December. Music/street festival with three stages of live music and an open air market along with antique shops in the old town area
- Trail of Lights , Austin, Dec 8-22, 2015 Visit this to delight your children and yourself. And don't miss twirling under the Tree of Lights until you get dizzy. It's an Austin tradition
Thanks to Bob Fuldauer of Turn To Productions for his help in providing events to list here.
Where To Stay In Texas
Personalized bling for your favorite horse
Elegant Texas Sofa Table by Texas Mesquite
Beautiful Texas butterfly on mistflowers
Personalized wedding, birthday, Mother's Day gift
Visit Central Texas wineries in style & safely
Cowboy up your dinner table with True West China