TEXAS EVENTS, RODEOS, FESTIVALS
Some of the fun events & festival and things to do in Texas this year - from rodeos to music to art shows and more. If you have an event you would like listed, let me know. We do not list monthly "markets" and reserve the right to decide what is appropriate here. We also greatly appreciate it if you list our site on yours. It makes me like you more.
Trip Diaries: Galveston (the first article I've managed to finish). Fort Davis article coming soon. We LOVE Fort Davis, the McDonald Observatory, the drier air out there, etc.
Request a listing
January (PLEASE NOTE THE YEAR SHOWN. Not all upcoming events have been updated, though the URLs should still be valid)
- Taylor County Livestock Show & Sale, Abilene, Jan 21-24, 2015 - Youth compete for best in show
- Fort Worth Stock Show Rodeo, Jan 16-Feb 7, 2015 - Fun rodeo festival (My brother-in-law works it every year since he retired)
- Texas Citrus Fiesta - Parade of Oranges, Mission, Jan 31, 2015 - Parade in celebration of the citrus industry of the Rio Grande Valley
- Jefferson Quilt Show, Jefferson, Jan 23-25, 2015 - A show of fabulous "quilts on the bayou"
- Washington's Birthday Celebration, Laredo, Feb 13-22, 2015 - Carnival celebrating George Washington, a longstanding tradition
- San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo, San Angelo, Feb 13-Mar 1, 2015 - One of the top rodeos in the nation based on total purse and celebrating 82 years of existence, the San Angelo Rodeo brings top cowboys and cowgirls from the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association every year
- Charro Days, Brownsville, Feb 26- March 8, 2015 - The biggest celebration in the Rio Grande Valley
- Southeast Texas Mardi Gras, Port Arthur, Feb 12-Feb 15, 2015. Robert Earl Keen, Motorcycle show & run and tons of fun.
- Galveston Mardi Gras, Galveston, Feb 6- Feb 17, 2015- An extravagant Mardi Gras celebration, Texas-style
- San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo, San Angelo, Feb 13- Mar 1, 2015 - See description above about this historic rodeo that starts on Feb 14 in 2014.
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, Houston, Mar 3-22, 2015 I grew up going to this every year. The Cutting Horse competition was my favorite event, but the Cutting Horse Association has their own events now. And if you're going to the rodeo, please see a C&W performer, not some pop star
- South by Southwest, Austin, Mar 13-22, 2015 - A unique festival of music, film, and technology
- Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show, Mercedes, Mar 13-22, 2015 - A fun livestock show promoting agriculture to youth, rodeo, calf scramble and all that good stuff.
- Best Little Cowboy Gathering in TX, La Grange, Mar 13-15, 2015 - Texas Western Swing Festival celebrates western & cowboy heritage, BBQ, dancing & Texas hospitality
- Texas Ranger Day , Burton, March 14, 2015 - Celebrate history with Railroad, Texas Rangers
and street dance!
- Star of Texas Fair and Rodeo, Austin, Mar 14-28, 2015 - A fun rodeo for the whole family, Super Shootout, Mutton Bustin' and great entertainers.
- Walker County Fair, Huntsville, TX Apr 3-11, 2015 - A fun fest for the whole family and a PRCA Rodeo, to boot!
- The Pearland Crawfish Festival, Pearland, Apr 10-12, 2015 - The Pearland Crawfish Festival takes the friendly, relaxed fun and community feel of a small town fair and serves it up big with hot, fresh crawfish at a great price and the best of Cajun dishes and classic festival fare. Entertainment includes the Zydeco, Texas Country, Blues, and Classic Rock bands; Splash Dogs, armadillo races, iguana races, crawfish-eating contests; arts and craft vendors, a world-class carnival, children's area, and more
- Scarborough Faire®, the Renaissance Festival, Waxahachie, Weekends Apr 4-May 25, 2015 - Exciting Renaissance festival
- Galveston FeatherFest, Apr 9-12, 2015 - The largest birding festival on the upper coast
- Poteet Strawberry Festival, Apr 10-12, 2015 - Exciting events, contests, and carnival fun. Oh, and strawberries!!
- April in Edom, Apr 17-18, 2015 - old fashioned street fair for adults, kids and pets
- Denton Arts & Jazz Festival, Denton, Apr 24-26, 2015 - A celebration of the arts in a creative community
- Red Cat Jazz Festival, Galveston Island, May 2-4, 2014. Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Jazz saxophonist and Houston native Ronnie Laws.
- Scarborough Faire®, the Renaissance Festival, Waxahachie, Weekends Apr 5-May 26 - Exciting Renaissance festival
- Maifest, Brenham, May 3- 5, 2013 - One of the oldest German heritage fests of the south with great music and arts
- Texas Scottish Festival & Highland Games, Arlington, May 2-4, 2014 - Dancing, athletics, and more to celebrate Scottish heritage
- Western Heritage Classic, Abilene, May 8-10, 2014 - Authentic ranch activities and showcase
- Katy Cajun Invasion, Katy Mills, May 16-18, 2014, A celebration of the great music, food, and fun of the Bayou culture; bands combining Texas Country with Louisiana Zydeco and Brass Bands; crafts, armadillo races.
- Chalk This Way, Lewisville, May 17, 2014; Professional chalk artists, amateur chalk art contest, art vendors, food, music
- Cowboy Capital PRCA Rodeo, Bandera, May 23-25, 2014 - Family fun in the hill country
- 48th Annual National Polka Festival, Ennis, May 23-25, 2014; Czech heritage festivities; parade, Enjoy a weekend of polka dancing, Czech foods, and 14 sensational LIVE polka bands including Grammy Award winning Brave Combo.
- Kerrville Folk Festival, Kerrville, May 22-Jun 8, 2014 - Music and food for "Kerrverts" of all ages
- Great Texas Mosquito Festival, Clute, July 23-25, 2015 - Three day fun filled family event
- Texas City Kite Festival, At the Texas City Dike/Levee, July 25, 2015 - Competitions in kite flying, a kiteboarding hydrofoil race, powered paragliding exhibition, and the world’s first-ever tanker surfing competition
- Space City Comic Con, Houston, July 24-26, 2015 - The Gulf Coast's fan-culture convention and family entertainment, pop-culture expo for all ages. For fans of comics, sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, literature and art.
- Houston Con, Houston, Sept 4-6, 2015 - Sci-fi, comics, and games convention brings stars of movies, television, special effects, writers, and artist's to the George R Brown Convention Center
- GrapeFest, Grapevine, Sept. 17-20, 2015 - Largest wine festival in the Southwest.
- South Texas Maize, Hondo -Sept 21 through Dec 1, 2014
- Washington County Fair, Brenham, Sept 11-19, 2015 - The first county fair in Texas! While in Brenham visit some of the wineries on the Texas Wine Trails.
- "Come and Take It" Days, Gonzales, Oct 4, 2015
- Lucky Duck River Race, San Antonio, Oct 4, 2015 20,000 Rubber Ducks will race down the San Antonio River! Only $5 to adopt a duck! Proceeds benefit the "Hire Haven" Job Training program at Haven for Hope, a transformational homeless campus in downtown San Antonio.
- The Great Pumpkin Maze, Hondo -Sept 26 through Nov 8, 2015
- First Saturday Arts Market, Houston, Oct 3 (and first Saturday of every month. Thus, the name.) 2015
- Texas Mesquite Art Festival, Fredericksburg, Oct 9-11, 2015
- All American Pro Rodeo Finals, Waco, Oct 10-17, 2015
- Leakey Oktoberfest, Leaky, Oct 17,
- Texas Mushroom Festival, Madisonville, Oct 24, 2015
- Bluebonnet Horse Expo, Austin, Oct 17, 2015 Day full of horses: clinics, shopping, and adoptions!
- Sassafras Festival, San Augustine, Oct 23-24, 2015
- Harvest Moon Festival, Granbury Oct 17-18 (Great crafts and foods here) 2015
- Flatonia Czhilispiel, Flatonia, Oct 23-25, 2015
- Texas Renaissance Festival (through Nov 19), See September listing above
- 17th Annual George West Storyfest, George West, Nov 6-8, 2015
- Live Oaks, Dead Folks, Columbus, Nov 6-7, 2015
- Wurstfest, New Braunfels, Nov 6-15, 2015 (beer, beer, sausages, beer, funnel cakes, beer, and music)
- Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival, Harlingen, Nov 4, 2015 (field trips and seminars and fun for birders)
- Heritage Syrup Festival, Henderson, Nov 14, 2015
- Festival of Lights, Lake Jackson, Nov 21, 2015
- Christmas on the Square, Leakey, Nov 28, 2015
- 14TH Annual Gruene Pony Express Ride - Gruene, Dec 5, 2015, Relay friders carry a Christmas Greetings message from the Governor of Texas
- Dickens on the Strand, Galveston, Dec 4-6, 2015 Street festival, based on 19th-century Victorian London, features parades, non-stop entertainment on six stages,
- Tomball German Christmas Market, Tomball, 2nd Weekend in December. Music/street festival with three stages of live music and an open air market along with antique shops in the old town area
- Trail of Lights , Austin, Dec 8-22, 2015 Visit this to delight your children and yourself. And don't miss twirling under the Tree of Lights until you get dizzy. It's an Austin tradition
Where To Stay In Texas
Your man deserves this tie tack at Lone Star Jewelry
Mad Kitty Mug for cat lovers to start their day off right.
Rib glaze in hot/sweet and simply sweet flavors.
Start buying your Christmas dinnerware now.
Tom Greenwood's Western Art commissioned by Jack Daniels
Slate tile table by Texas By Design.