TEXAS EVENTS, RODEOS, FESTIVALS
Some of the fun events & festival and things to do in Texas this year - from rodeos to music to art shows and more. If you have an event you would like listed, let me know. We do not list monthly "markets" and reserve the right to decide what is appropriate here. We also greatly appreciate it if you list our site on yours. It makes me like you more.
Trip Diaries: Galveston (the first article I've managed to finish). Fort Davis article coming soon. We LOVE Fort Davis, the McDonald Observatory, the drier air out there, etc.
Request a listing
January (PLEASE NOTE THE YEAR SHOWN. Not all upcoming events have been updated, though the URLs should still be valid)
- Taylor County Livestock Show & Sale, Abilene, Jan 21-24, 2015 - Youth compete for best in show
- Fort Worth Stock Show Rodeo, Jan 16-Feb 7, 2015 - Fun rodeo festival (My brother-in-law works it every year since he retired)
- Texas Citrus Fiesta - Parade of Oranges, Mission, Jan 31, 2015 - Parade in celebration of the citrus industry of the Rio Grande Valley
- Jefferson Quilt Show, Jefferson, Jan 23-25, 2015 - A show of fabulous "quilts on the bayou"
- Washington's Birthday Celebration, Laredo, Feb 13-22, 2015 - Carnival celebrating George Washington, a longstanding tradition
- San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo, San Angelo, Feb 13-Mar 1, 2015 - One of the top rodeos in the nation based on total purse and celebrating 82 years of existence, the San Angelo Rodeo brings top cowboys and cowgirls from the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association every year
- Charro Days, Brownsville, Feb 26- March 8, 2015 - The biggest celebration in the Rio Grande Valley
- Southeast Texas Mardi Gras, Port Arthur, Feb 12-Feb 15, 2015. Robert Earl Keen, Motorcycle show & run and tons of fun.
- Galveston Mardi Gras, Galveston, Feb 6- Feb 17, 2015- An extravagant Mardi Gras celebration, Texas-style
- San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo, San Angelo, Feb 13- Mar 1, 2015 - See description above about this historic rodeo that starts on Feb 14 in 2014.
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, Houston, Mar 3-22, 2015 I grew up going to this every year. The Cutting Horse competition was my favorite event, but the Cutting Horse Association has their own events now. And if you're going to the rodeo, please see a C&W performer, not some pop star
- South by Southwest, Austin, Mar 13-22, 2015 - A unique festival of music, film, and technology
- Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show, Mercedes, Mar 13-22, 2015 - A fun livestock show promoting agriculture to youth, rodeo, calf scramble and all that good stuff.
- Best Little Cowboy Gathering in TX, La Grange, Mar 13-15, 2015 - Texas Western Swing Festival celebrates western & cowboy heritage, BBQ, dancing & Texas hospitality
- Texas Ranger Day , Burton, March 14, 2015 - Celebrate history with Railroad, Texas Rangers
and street dance!
- Star of Texas Fair and Rodeo, Austin, Mar 14-28, 2015 - A fun rodeo for the whole family, Super Shootout, Mutton Bustin' and great entertainers.
- Walker County Fair, Huntsville, TX Apr 3-11, 2015 - A fun fest for the whole family and a PRCA Rodeo, to boot!
- The Pearland Crawfish Festival, Pearland, Apr 10-12, 2015 - The Pearland Crawfish Festival takes the friendly, relaxed fun and community feel of a small town fair and serves it up big with hot, fresh crawfish at a great price and the best of Cajun dishes and classic festival fare. Entertainment includes the Zydeco, Texas Country, Blues, and Classic Rock bands; Splash Dogs, armadillo races, iguana races, crawfish-eating contests; arts and craft vendors, a world-class carnival, children's area, and more
- Scarborough Faire®, the Renaissance Festival, Waxahachie, Weekends Apr 4-May 25, 2015 - Exciting Renaissance festival
- Galveston FeatherFest, Apr 9-12, 2015 - The largest birding festival on the upper coast
- Poteet Strawberry Festival, Apr 10-12, 2015 - Exciting events, contests, and carnival fun. Oh, and strawberries!!
- April in Edom, Apr 17-18, 2015 - old fashioned street fair for adults, kids and pets
- Denton Arts & Jazz Festival, Denton, Apr 24-26, 2015 - A celebration of the arts in a creative community
- Red Cat Jazz Festival, Galveston Island, May 2-4, 2014. Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Jazz saxophonist and Houston native Ronnie Laws.
- Scarborough Faire®, the Renaissance Festival, Waxahachie, Weekends Apr 5-May 26 - Exciting Renaissance festival
- Maifest, Brenham, May 3- 5, 2013 - One of the oldest German heritage fests of the south with great music and arts
- Texas Scottish Festival & Highland Games, Arlington, May 2-4, 2014 - Dancing, athletics, and more to celebrate Scottish heritage
- Western Heritage Classic, Abilene, May 8-10, 2014 - Authentic ranch activities and showcase
- Katy Cajun Invasion, Katy Mills, May 16-18, 2014, A celebration of the great music, food, and fun of the Bayou culture; bands combining Texas Country with Louisiana Zydeco and Brass Bands; crafts, armadillo races.
- Chalk This Way, Lewisville, May 17, 2014; Professional chalk artists, amateur chalk art contest, art vendors, food, music
- Cowboy Capital PRCA Rodeo, Bandera, May 23-25, 2014 - Family fun in the hill country
- 48th Annual National Polka Festival, Ennis, May 23-25, 2014; Czech heritage festivities; parade, Enjoy a weekend of polka dancing, Czech foods, and 14 sensational LIVE polka bands including Grammy Award winning Brave Combo.
- Kerrville Folk Festival, Kerrville, May 22-Jun 8, 2014 - Music and food for "Kerrverts" of all ages
- Great Texas Mosquito Festival, Clute, July 23-25, 2015 - Three day fun filled family event
- Texas City Kite Festival, At the Texas City Dike/Levee, July 25, 2015 - Competitions in kite flying, a kiteboarding hydrofoil race, powered paragliding exhibition, and the world’s first-ever tanker surfing competition
- Space City Comic Con, Houston, July 24-26, 2015 - The Gulf Coast's fan-culture convention and family entertainment, pop-culture expo for all ages. For fans of comics, sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, literature and art.
- Houston Con, Houston, Sept 4-6, 2015 - Sci-fi, comics, and games convention brings stars of movies, television, special effects, writers, and artist's to the George R Brown Convention Center
- GrapeFest, Grapevine, Sept. 17-20, 2015 - Largest wine festival in the Southwest.
- South Texas Maize, Hondo -Sept 21 through Dec 1, 2014
- Washington County Fair, Brenham, Sept 11-19, 2015 - The first county fair in Texas! While in Brenham visit some of the wineries on the Texas Wine Trails.
- "Come and Take It" Days, Gonzales, Oct 4, 2014
- Lucky Duck River Race, San Antonio, Oct 4, 2014 20,000 Rubber Ducks will race down the San Antonio River! Only $5 to adopt a duck! Proceeds benefit the "Hire Haven" Job Training program at Haven for Hope, a transformational homeless campus in downtown San Antonio.
- South Texas Maize, Hondo -Sept 21 through Dec 1, 2014
- First Saturday Arts Market, Houston, Oct 2 (and first Saturday of every month. Thus, the name.) 2014
- Texas Mesquite Art Festival, Fredericksburg, Oct 11-13, 2013
- All American Pro Rodeo Finals, Waco, Oct 6-12, 2013
- Texas Mushroom Festival, Madisonville, Oct 12, 2013
- Bluebonnet Horse Expo, Austin, Oct 18, 2013 Day full of horses: clinics, shopping, and adoptions!
- Sassafras Festival, San Augustine, Oct 26, 2013
- Harvest Moon Festival, Granbury Oct 19-20(Great crafts and foods here) 2013
- Flatonia Czhilispiel, Flatonia, Oct 25-27, 2013
- Texas Renaissance Festival (through Nov 19), See September listing above
- Texas Fishermen's Seafood Festival, Palacios, November 1-3, 2012
- 17th Annual George West Storyfest, George West, Nov 3, 2012
- Live Oaks, Dead Folks, Columbus, NovTBA 2012
- Wurstfest, New Braunfels, Nov 2-11, 2012 (beer, beer, sausages, beer, funnel cakes, beer, and music)
- Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival, Harlingen, Nov 7--11, 2012 (field trips and seminars and fun for birders)
- Heritage Syrup Festival, Henderson, Nov 10, 2012
- Winnsboro Wild West Days, Winnsboro, Nov 10- 11 (Western arts & crafts, living history, music, poetry, reenactments)
- Bill Cosby, Nov 18, Houston, comediy legend
- Festival of Lights, Lake Jackson, Nov 22, 2012
- Rockin' Reality Scrapbook Retreat, Temple, Nov TBA 2012
- Poinsettia Celebration, Brenham, Nov 20-21, 2012
- Christmas on the Square, Leakey, Nov 22-end of Dec. 2012
- Lighting of Downtown, Bracketville, Nov 24 (Lighting of downtown, hayrides and singing)
- Robert Flack, Houston, November 3, Musical icon
- Holiday Showcase, Katy, TBA 2012
- Christmas Night Parade, Bracketville, Dec 1 (Lighted night parade and local vendors)
- Christmas at the Depot, Burton, Dec 2, 2012 (Food, Shopping, Toy Run and Tour of Homes)
- Gruene Town Lighting, Gruene(New Braunfels), Dec 3, 2012
- Dickens on the Strand, Galveston, Dec3-4, 2012
- Tomball German Christmas Market, Tomball, Dec 9-11, 2012
- Community Christmas, Bracketville, Dec 12 (Community sing-a-long, performances and pictures with Santa)
- Dwight Yoakum, Houston, Dec 21, my favorite performer of all time. And he sings good, too.
- Campfire Christmas at George Ranch Historical Park , weekends in December 2012
- Trail of Lights , Austin, Dec 3, 2012 (Visit this to delight your children and yourself. And don't miss twirling under the Tree of Lights until you get dizzy. It's an Austin tradition)
Where To Stay In Texas
T-Shirts for Genuine, Certified, Authentic Texas Kids
Visit Central Texas wineries in style & safely
Start buying your Christmas dinnerware now.
Custom designed tall wine cabinet by Texas Mesquite
Art by Texas photographer Cindy Clements
Your man deserves this tie tack at Lone Star Jewelry